The Big Rewrite is Here
When I first started this blog, it was my very first Rails project. I was young. I was naive. I didn’t do automated testing.
Fast forward back to September, and I wanted to start adding some new features. I wanted to do it right though, with tests, and all. To my dismay, I found the way I had implemented things weren’t so easy to test.
This, along with Rails 2.0 coming along, and some other new libraries/plugins I wanted to learn, led me to starting a complete rewrite.
So, here’s a laundry list of what I’ve been using so far:
- Rails edge
- RSpec and RSpec on Rails edge for BDD goodness
- acts_as_taggable_on_steroids for tagging
- permalink_fu cuz everyone likes permalinks
- will_paginate for sexy pagination
- Vlad the Deployer for deployment
- Piston for managing edge and plugins
- ultraviolet, radiograph, and Hpricot + Ultraviolet for syntax highlighting
I think I’m mostly feature complete, but the most significant missing piece is
Comments! I mostly need to find a good way of spam filtering. The original version was using simple_captcha, but I’ve been noticing spam has still been getting through. I’m considering trying akismet, which does have a few Rails plugins.
But yeah, that’s it for now. I hope to pump out a few posts about this new stuff I’m using.